In his inaugural speech, Harvard University President Lawrence S. Bacow addressed the need to expand the role of public service and continue to make it an institutional priority. He affirmed, “We need to ensure that future generations continue to serve the greater good in a variety of ways. It is my hope that every Harvard graduate, in every profession, should be an active, enlightened and engaged citizen.” The National Advisory Board on Public Service serves as a key component in realizing this objective by providing essential advice and recommendations to advance public service at Harvard College.
Started during President Emeritus Drew Gilpin Faust’s tenure, the Advisory Board is composed of prominent leaders in public service fields, as well as faculty and alumni with a deep commitment to the nonprofit and public interest sectors. Representatives from each of the major public service offices and organizations on campus – the Center for Public Interest Careers, FAS Standing Committee on Public Service, Institute of Politics, Office of Career Services, Phillips Brooks House Association, and the Public Service Network – attend advisory board meetings helping to foster a collaborative and a cohesive vision.
• Develop a deep understanding of the existing public service landscape at Harvard College.
• Advise on strategies and strategic goals to engage undergraduates in public service and explore public interest careers through both co-curricular and curricular opportunities.
• Establish a unified long-term vision for public service efforts and public interest career advising and identify needs to ensure the sustainability of this plan.
• Support these vital efforts by providing relationships with collaborative partners and persons or organizations able to provide resources that will deepen and expand these efforts.
• Joseph Barretto: Nonprofit Consultant, Barretto Consulting LLC
• Michael Brown: CEO and Co-Founder, City Year, Inc.
NATIONAL ADVISORY BOARD
• Charlotte Ackert: Trustee, WNET New York
• David Ackert: Managing Member, Crystal Lake Capital, LLC
• Jonathan Alter: Author and Columnist
• David Belluck: General Partner, Riverside Partners
• Anurima Bhargava: Open Society Foundation Leadership in Government Fellow; former Chief of Educational Opportunities Section in the Civil Rights Division at the U.S. Department of Justice
• Eryn Bingle: Special Counsel for Economic Development, Congressman Jim Hines
• Paul Buttenwieser: Community Volunteer
• Cheryl Dorsey: President, Echoing Green
• Chris Gabrieli: CEO of Empower Schools, Chair of the Massachusetts Board of Higher Education and Lecturer, Harvard Graduate School of Education
• Mike Gaw: Assistant Director, Division of Trading and Markets, US Securities and Exchange Commission
• Maribel Hernandez Rivera: Executive Director for Executive Action, NYC Mayor's Office of Immigrant Affairs
• Jen Holleran: Philanthropic Advisor and Consultant, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative
• Alan Khazei: Co-founder, City Year; Founder, Be The Change
• Richard Kiely: Senior Fellow, Engaged Cornell, Cornell University
• Peter Levine: Research Professor in Philosophy, Tisch College Associate Dean for Academic Affairs, Lincoln Filene Professor of Citizenship & Public Affairs, and Research Professor in the Tufts Clinical and Translational Sciences Institute
• Tamera Luzzatto: Managing Director of Government Relations, The Pew Charitable Trusts
• Andrew Mandel: Senior Vice President, Teach for America
• Darin McKeever: Chief Program & Strategy Officer, William Davidson Foundation
• Julie Menin: Commissioner, NYC Mayor's Office of Media and Entertainment
• Eric Mindich: Founder and Chief Executive Officer of Eton Park Capital Management
• Stacey Mindich: Broadway Producer, Stacey Mindich Productions
• Eric Mlyn: Executive Director of DukeEngage and Assistant Vice Provost for Civic Engagement, Office of Undergraduate Education
• Agnieszka Nance: Executive Director, Center for Public Service (CPS)
• Shirley Sagawa: Co-founder, Service Year Exchange
• Ian Simmons: President, Foundation for Civic Leadership
• John Simon: Managing Director, Sigma Prime Ventures; Board Chair & Co-Founder of the GreenLight Fund
• Dorothy Stoneman: Founder, YouthBuild USA, Inc.
• Tammy Tai: Nonprofit Strategic Consultant
• Kendall Webb: Executive Director, JustGive.org