The Public Service Academy (PSA) offers Harvard undergraduates the opportunity to enhance their leadership and management skills through a series of trainings and workshops. It is all about helping people and programs grow. Each fun and interactive session provides tools that are useful to individual leaders and volunteers, and help them provide higher quality programming.
Trainings and resources are available to all student affiliates of the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) and the Harvard Public Service Network (PSN), as well as all other Harvard undergraduates, community partners, etc. Additional resources are available for leaders who want help creating quality, program-specific workshops.
Fall 2018 Training Topics - click for dates and details:
- Tutor Certificate (mandatory for all new PBHA & PSN tutor)
- Mentor Certificate (mandatory for all new PBHA & PSN mentors)
- Program Management Certificate (skills for current and future leaders; mandatory for all new PBHA/PSN program directors)
- Advocacy and Organizing (skills for current and future leaders of advocacy/policy/movement efforts)
- Train the Trainer (presentation and training design skills - become a member of the paid student Trainer Corps!)
- Teaching Institute (strongly recommended for all PBHA, PSN, and any curriculum based programs' new volunteers)
- Working with the Elderly (strongly recommended for all PBHA and PSN volunteers who work with the elderly)
- Teaching ESL Certificate (for volunteers teaching ESL to adult learners)
Other Workshops Not Currently Offered:
- By request: Special Needs Youth Work Training (strongly strongly recommended for all PBHA and PSN volunteers who work with the youth with special needs), Behavior Management, Cultural Competence in entering Communities, and more! Contact us.
- Organizing 101 (an introduction to advocacy and organizing work) - Offered only in the spring semester - this training is currently not being offered this semester.
Be sure to check back regularly for new trainings and dates.