The Buttenwieser Public Service Academy (PSA) offers Harvard undergraduates the opportunity to enhance their leadership and management skills through a series of trainings and workshops. It is all about helping people and programs grow. Each fun and interactive session provides tools that are useful to individual leaders and volunteers, and help them provide higher quality programming.
Trainings and resources are available to all student affiliates of the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) and the DSO-Affiliated Groups, as well as all other Harvard undergraduates, community partners, etc. Additional resources are available for leaders who want help creating quality, program-specific workshops. Please note that if you are a student organization that manages, supervises and trains its own volunteers, finances and community engagement, you must provide training for leadership and all volunteers.
The Buttenwieser Public Service Academy is named in recognition of Paul and Catherine Buttenwieser’s long-time support of Public Service at Harvard.
If you have any questions, please contact Dr. Varsha Ghosh, Director of Student Engagement & Leadership, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Fall 2021 Training Topics - click for dates and details:
- Tutor Certificate (mandatory for all new PBHA & all tutoring programs)
- Mentor Certificate (mandatory for all new PBHA & mentor programs)
- Program Management Certificate (skills for current and future leaders; mandatory for all new PBHA/DSO apprproate program directors)
- Advocacy and Organizing (skills for current and future leaders of advocacy/policy/movement efforts)
- Train the Trainer (presentation and training design skills - become a member of the paid student Trainer Corps!)
- Working with the Elderly 101 (strongly recommended for all PBHA and PSN volunteers who work with the elderly)
Other Workshops Not Currently Offered:
- By request: Special Needs Youth Work Training (strongly strongly recommended for all PBHA and DSO-Affiliated volunteers who work with the youth with special needs), Behavior Management, Cultural Competence in entering Communities, and more! Contact us.
- Organizing 101 (an introduction to advocacy and organizing work) - Offered only in the spring semester - this training is currently not being offered this semester.
- Teaching ESL Certificate (for volunteers teaching ESL to adult learners)
Be sure to check back regularly for new trainings and dates.